Save the date May 31, 2019 6-9pm at Pleasant Valley Wine Company Visitor Center
Save the date September 7, 2019
NEEDED – BARN CAT HOMES FOR INDEPENDENT &
Our barn cat program reaches out to those with a working barn or safe, heated outbuilding. Having a barn cat or cats will help keep down the rodent population. The cats will be helping the property owner, while the property owner provides the cats with a safe place to live. And, because these cats are already spayed/neutered, the property owner won’t have to worry about endless litters of kittens appearing! They are also rabies vaccinated.
What you’ll need:
- Shelter in barns, buildings, or stables
- Daily food and water – cats cannot live on mousing alone
- Long-term veterinary care, as needed (they’re neutered and vaccinated prior to adoption)
- A secure place to keep them for the first 2-3 weeks, while they acclimate to the barn. This can be a tack room, or any secure indoor enclosure that they cannot escape from. (The shelter will lend you an introduction crate and temporary housing supplies if needed.)
FLSPCA currently has a number of cats who cannot live as house pets. Cats in our barn cat program fall into these categories:
- Cats who are just too independent to appreciate being cooped up in cages in the shelter.
- Cats who are shy/fearful of people, and prefer the company of other cats and animals.
- Cats whose litterbox habits make them unsuitable for house pets.
Please note: We do not adopt cats who are suitable to be house pets to barns, only cats without other options.
We prefer to adopt cats in this program in pairs. A nominal adoption fee of forty dollars for two cats helps us recover some of the expense for medical care provided.
Barn cat homes are reviewed for their ability to help provide for the ongoing basic needs and reasonable safety of the cats. PLEASE SHARE THIS POST TO HELP US SPREAD THE WORD ABOUT THIS PROGRAM.
Call 607-622-5363 to learn more about participating cats or visit our 72 Cameron St. location in Bath between 11 and 4 p.m. except (closed Thursday and Sunday).